Can Veterans Affairs Benefits Pay for Children's College?

Veterans affairs benefits do not usually extend to the children of living veterans. However, there are a few instances when a child may collect benefits from the VA. These include aid and attendance if the child is a permanent caregiver or education and training if the veteran is permanently disabled.

Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program

A survivor or dependent of a veteran or active duty service member who is permanently disabled is eligible for up to 45 months of assistance for education costs. This assistance can be used to pay for certificate programs, apprenticeships or on-the-job training. This fund is not typically large enough to pay the expenses of a four-year degree.

Alternative Options

Restorative and vocational training is available to those eligible for Dependent Educational Assistance. This can provide a survivor with necessary mental rehabilitation and counseling to prepare that dependent for the workforce. It can also be used to make a dependent eligible for the workforce in a specific field. Essentially, since the veteran is not able to provide for the dependent, this program is designed to help the dependent be able to provide for the veteran. Federal student loan options that are available to all individuals may be extended at subsidized rates to needy students looking for a four-year degree.

blog comments powered by Disqus