Prepare Your IRA Tax Information Correctly

When filling in your tax return for the IRS, you will need to include all relevant IRA information, including any income that you have received for your retirement accounts. If you, and your spouse if you are married, are not part of an employer's retirement scheme, then any IRA accounts you hold may be entirely taxable. You need to have the correct IRA information for your form.

Gathering Information

There are a number of IRS forms associated with IRA information. You should request a pamphlet from the local tax office detailing all the aspects of IRAs, including limits on what type of IRA you can set up, what contributions you can make, and if your income is taxable. For example, a traditional IRA may be taxed as ordinary income, while a ROTH IRA may be exempt if you meet particular conditions. From this pamphlet, you should be able to work out what information you will need to include on the tax form.

Filling in the Forms

Start by filling in a 5498 form. This is not for the IRS, but is a personal record of the income you have received. Write down all the relevant IRA information. You will then need to enter the information onto form 8606 if your income is taxable.

blog comments powered by Disqus