How to Find a Good Tax Adviser

Finding a good tax adviser can sometimes seem difficult. If you are having tax problems or simply need some help, you will want to find someone that is very proficient with tax laws. Here are the basics of how to find a good tax adviser.


Typically, the best way to find a good tax adviser is to get a referral. Most of the time, you can ask a business owner or someone else that you know if they know of any good tax advisers. In many cases, they will be able to turn you on to someone who helps them out.


You might also be able to get online and check out reviews of different tax advisers. This will give you a general feel for what customers say about the services of a particular tax adviser.


When you are looking at a few different tax advisers, you will want to sit down with them and ask them a few questions. You need to know exactly what they can do for you and what is their area of expertise. Ask them what their level of experience is in the industry. You will also want to ask them how they charge for their services as there are numerous ways of doing so. If they have any other clients they can tell you about, this might also be helpful so that you know what types of businesses they work for.


One of the most common types of tax advisers that is available is the CPA. CPA stands for certified public accountant. Certified public accountants can help you in a number of different ways. You will usually be able to find one of these in every tax preparation office in your area. They have to go through a rigorous educational process in order to become a CPA. They can help you out with tax planning, filing your taxes, estate planning, and many other financial areas.

Enrolled Agent

The enrolled agent is a special type of tax adviser that has a great deal of expertise in the area of taxes. They are given power by the United States Treasury to assist individuals with tax matters. In order to become an enrolled agent, you have to go through a very thorough process of education and certification. Before you can become an enrolled agent, you have to pass a very detailed test that deals with tax matters. Another route to becoming an enrolled agent is to work for the IRS for five years in an area that regularly deals with tax issues.

Enrolled agents can be a very valuable asset whenever you are being audited by the IRS. They have either worked for the IRS or know how the process works and can guide you through the audit. They can represent you and they also have the ability to file your taxes for you if you need that service. Typically, utilizing an enrolled agent is going to be more effective than hiring a CPA.

blog comments powered by Disqus